Monday, July 30, 2007

With Ice

A weekend away in the lovely Phetchaburi, included a lot of eating and trying to forget I live in Bangkok. The air was fresh, the scenery green, and the food excellent. I ate a number of kilos of very nice Durian, cheap cheap cheap noodles and stir fry, and famous Petchaburi sweets. Unfortunately I took only a few photos as we were busy cycling around. On one much needed break, after a lovely bowl of 10 baht chicken noodles, we happened upon a refreshing sight.

This woman is selling icy concoctions that will cool down even the hottest patrons. She serves up bowls of ice, with condiments of your choice, sweetened with some palm sugar syrup. I had mine with palm fruits and candied sweet potato.

At five Baht a bowl, you've no excuse for not ordering one or two.

4 comments:

Pondering said...

Foods that people make in that area tend to be a little sweeter than the rest of the country. Central areas like BKK also make foods a little sweet too.

Southern tends to be on the salty side.

a said...

Thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know that, but now that I think about it, i guess it does make sense. In Pethcaburi, the custard and Thong Yip were so sweet I made myself sick. Although eating a 25 Baht worth of either of those things is a very bad idea.

Pondering said...

My father was a Petchaburi (who knows how this word is supposed to spell like, lol) native and from what I've heard and learned, central area foods are sweetest of all. Petchaburi is actually considered a western province, but well....

Kaela said...

Fabulous! It looks fabulous. I'm going to pretend I just strolled outside and had some.