Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Miang Kham

Here's a real favorite of mine. It's an old school snack that nicely highlights some very quintessential Thai flavors. Let's dig in!

What we have here is a to go version of the snack that i bought at Sai Yok Noi Waterfall in Kanchanaburi province the other day. 30 Baht seemed a bit steep, but I wasn't passing this one up. It came with onions, ginger, chilis,

limes, peanuts, dried shrimp, and toasted coconut.

You place a little bit of everything into lovely little leaves, and top with a sweet sauce. What the leaves are, I am not certain but the leaves themselves may vary by vendor.

Just remember to put a bit of everything in or the flavors won't be balanced. The vendor gave you a little of each for a reason: the right mix and balance of flavors. It's no time to be squeemish about that one ingredient you don't like. Wrap it, eat it, enjoy it.

2 comments:

Pondering said...

I think this must be one of the best Thai snacks available. When I was younger, I tried to avoid shallots and limes (shallots have weird onion smell and limes with skin on? just didn't like it.) But later on, it is just great to put a bit of everything in there (and yes, they are there for a reason or two) and they all taste so great all together in one bite.

I love this snack too!!!

t3peace said...

I adore it ! yummy !