Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sugar Apple


Here's the sugar apple, or Noi-Na, as it's called in Thailand. I guess this means grenade for obvious reasons. I've known this fruit for a number of years, but only eaten a couple in Thailand for no reason in particular.

I first ate a fruit like this in Mexico some years ago, but it was called Cherimoya (see below). It's of the same genus. They are very similar, as is the custard apple, which I have never had. Often one fruit is misnamed as another as they all look and taste very similar. I'm not always sure what it is I'm eating...

Well, how do they taste? Very tropical, sugary sweet (hence the name), perhaps like a mix of some familiar fruits. No I won't venture to say as opinions on this vary.

3 comments:

Kaela said...

I found this on Purdue University's horticulture website:

"The ripe sugar apple is usually broken open and the flesh segments enjoyed while the hard seeds are separated in the mouth and spat out. It is so luscious that it is well worth the trouble. In Malaya, the flesh is pressed through a sieve to eliminate the seeds and is then added to ice cream or blended with milk to make a cool beverage. It is never cooked."

Have you seen is used in desserts like this?

a said...

Not exactly. I may have seen it on menus at juice bars but I may be mistaken. I have in fact had guanababa or soursop drinks of this desription in Latin America. Very refreshing!

mtan said...

We call them "atis" (pron ah-tis) in the philippines. They're sweet, sugary almost, and have a granular texture to them. I love them when they're very cold, and on a rainy day (they seem to be in season during the monsoons), eat an atis, spoon the fruit bits into your mouth, and then spit the seeds out. Happy memories of childhood.