Monday, September 17, 2007

Bangkok Peach!?

A fruit basket arrived in the office this morning. I received a peach! There were also: apples, grapes, oranges, and a large green melon from Japan. All these fruits looked like show pieces. Here's my peach wearing a little coat:

The sticker proudly displays the country of origin which in this case is the good ole U-S of A.

After looking at the url on this sticker, I learned that this here peach was grown in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley in Kingsburg, California. A quick check on Google earth informed me that this here peach has traveled 13,028 Kilometers (8,095 miles) to get into my greedy little hands in Bangkok.

I eat a lot of fruit. I can eat a kilo a day. I buy whatever is in season and in my neighborhood. Buying fresh delicious fruit is s effortless in Thailand that buying fruit like this peach never crosses my mind. I think of fruit like this as purely status fruit. People buy it to show off; it is sometimes given as a gift. I think the numbers illustrate an issue I've raised before on this blog, so I won't rehash it. I'm off to buy some bananas.

7 comments:

thai people said...

I like peach same same you. Very sweety hi-so aroi mak mak kha.

Girlie said...

That's a long way for a peach to travel!

I love your blog - hope you dpn't mind if I link to you!

Anonymous said...

Kingsburg, CA is my hometown! I grew up on a peach farm there, and it has rarely occurred to me that fresh peaches aren't an everyday fruit for everyone. That really puts the argiculture industry over here into perspective!

a said...

anon
Great, that's the just the kind of reaction that a post like this was meant to evoke. Thanks for stopping by.

Ellen Page said...

I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
Thailand Food Tour

Dicosta Sherry said...

I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.
ป้าย ระยอง

Unknown said...

This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
ของ ฝาก ยุโรป