Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Asian sandwich, Seafood Sausage

Another day in China Town, another day of conspicuous consumption. This time I was not alone, but once again the stomachs were relatively full. No matter, room can always be found. A few weeks back I spied a man selling some really nice salap bao. I don't usually like salap bao that much. They always taste a bit on the junkie side, but have a lot of potential. This man was selling something more delicious looking than normal, so a return visit was in order. Unfortunately we struck out. He was not where I had spied him previously. Instead Miss K gravitated toward this stand.

Miss K, who spent her early years in Malaysia, claimed this is a Malaysian snack. I had previously seen what looked like colored goo filled sandwiches before, but these appeared much more wholesome. I asked the man the name and he said something about honey.

We purchased a bag of peanut and honey? filled sandwiches/pancakes and ducked into the entryway of one of yaowarat's many gold shops and dug in. Both E and I found these incredibly familiar tasting: they were like an Asian version of a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Very nice.

Next we did a run through of Chaoren Krung 16. I stopped for some dim sum.

Shrimp dim sum sounded nice, but so did the scallops. Miss K suddenly directed my attention toward a sausage like object saying it was "very nice." It seemed like a good idea.

Suddenly I was holding a 100 Baht(!) seafood sausage. After the first bite the price made sense. It was filled completely with only shrimp and crab. I tried to capture a better image of this snack but it just looked rude.

5 comments:

Meud said...

Thais call the pancake "Kanom-Dtang-Dtak". Dtang-Dtak means 'Broke'.
Sometimes, they are also filled with shredded coconut.

People named them this name because in the past they were very cheap and, of course, the snack could fill you up pretty well.

a said...

Oh, thanks Meud. I have eaten (and posted about) the "broke man pancake" before but thought this was different. The different filling threw me off. Thanks for the help!

Kaela said...

The seafood sausage looks fabulous. What is 100 Baht equivalent to in American dollars?

a said...

100 baht is about 3 bucks. this is not cheap for a "snack." This is more than most street meals. More than twice as much! Certainly was good though.

addiechang said...

Thais made very good seafood sausage, i like the touch of the peppery taste.