Friday, January 18, 2008

Snack a Day 2008, Snack #18: Salabao

Salapao is one of those snacks that is always disappointing. The concept is so lovely: Steamed buns filled with all kinds of lovely ingredients. What could be more romantic? Unfortunately, they are usually overcooked, made with poor ingredients, or just taste off. I dare say they are not delicious. I have spied what look like very nice salabao in Chinatown, but have yet to buy them. Actually, I have had good versions of this snack, it just wasn't in Thailand. Anyhow, once in a while I give them a try to see if I've changed my mind.

I came across this stand after coming off of the Chong Nonsi Sky Train station stairs.

After a bit of fumbling and mumbling, I ended up with two moo daeng, or red pork buns.

Tearing into one of them felt somehow violent, or at least the aftermath evoked images of a violent end. They met the same fate as all the other snacks.

No comments: