Sunday, January 20, 2008

Snack a Day 2008, Snack #20: Fried Shrimp

Did you know that for every pound of shrimp caught, five pounds of other sea creatures are killed? Should have looked that one up before I ate today's snack.

Near Siam Square, another junk snack appeared. Another junk consumer made a purchase.

Fried shrimp with sweet chili sauce fulfills a particular junk food craving. There's certainly a lot of shrimp to be had in Thailand. There's a lot of great shrimp and a lot of not so great shrimp. This falls into the latter category. After what I read today, I might not be eating shrimp anymore. I'm not ignorant of the realities of the unsustainability of worldwide fishing practices, but whenever I see the numbers, it is particularly alarming. Maybe it's time to give up shrimp. Or: get it while you can.

1 comment:

nicklally said...

that's nuts! can we get a source on that?