Monday, January 21, 2008

Snack a Day 2008, Snack #21: Kanom Kui Chai

Oh boy dumplings! I always love things with fillings. Whereas my recent post about salabao was about disappointment, this snack was just right. Kanom kui chai can either be steamed or fried. After a number of days of heavy eating, the steamed version was a welcome sight.

Kanom Kui Chai can be filled with any number of things.

At the top and bottom you have ones fill with a kind of green. I'm not quite sure what it is, okay? On the left you've got what might have been bamboo shoots. I could be wrong. Any ideas? The one on the right was filled with taro. I can't pick a favorite. I can heartily recommend the mixed bag.

5 comments:

Xander said...

Mmm, these are delicious. I drew a picture of them to get my students to tell me what they were called, and it took forever for them to figure out what I was trying to draw. -X

cee said...

The green one is gua chai (kui chai) -- garlic chives (the same greens that are in pad thai).

Kaela said...

They look so good!

scott said...

do you have the recipe???

Kanom Jake said...

i love those little things, but these other ones with coconuts are better http://gotbangkok.com/2010/03/09/what-is-this-thai-cuisine/
if you like the sweeter kinds