Thursday, January 31, 2008

Snack a Day 2008. Snack #31: Bananas in Coconut Milk

All of a sudden I was in front of this dessert stand while on my way to find some dinner.

Immediately I was trying to take pictures while two women on a motorbike made fun of me. Oh well, who but a crazy person would take photos of large metal bowls of mostly consumed desserts? Laugh away. That reminds me: while taking a pictures of my shawarma recently, a man of unknown European descent stopped dead in his tracks and asked, “WHY!!!" He looked genuinely concerned. I wanted to tell him I'd seen the Virgin Mary. I told him the truth. He was unimpressed. He quickly ducked into a massage parlor.

I'm getting off track. Today's snack was bananas in coconut milk. When done just right this dessert tastes just like, don't laugh, apple pie alamode. Really. When the super sweet and ripe bananas cook, they mostly fall apart and take on a texture not unlike cooked apples. The coconut milk isn't exactly like melted ice cream, but you can use your imagination. Of course, there's no crust of any kind, so the comparison is flawed. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Today's version was not made with ripe enough bananas, so they kept their shape, and still tasted mostly like bananas. Regardless, the dessert was sweet and rich.

No comments: