Wednesday, October 15, 2008

American Breakfast Revisited

Earlier this year I wrote about an atrocious "American Breakfast" consumed in Sangkhlaburi, Thailand. Here's a topic of great interest to me. The approximation of one cuisine on the other side of the world makes for some interesting results. Currently, I more or less cannot eat Thai food in America, much like I couldn't eat most "American" food in the east. This unfortunate situation reduces me to state which I dare not speak of lest you think I was fishing for sympathy. There are always exceptions, but for the most part, my advice to you is to eat what you can where you are, not what you wish you were eating if you were somewhere else. Take this breakfast from the other week.

It was perfect. Very fresh eggs. The hen had a good diet. You can tell by the color of the yolk. Fresh homemade soda bread. And most importantly, fresh garden tomatoes (thanks for the plants dad!). As a kid my parents would torture me every year by declaring "There's two things money can't buy. True love and homegrown tomatoes." I don't really know if I believe in the former, but this here photo is a good example of the latter. Anyhoo, at this moment in time, there was nothing else I would have rather been eating and that's the important part. It was a familiar, attainable collection of flavors. Keep this in mind when looking at food from across the globe. It may very well look more exciting than what you ate for your previous and next meal, but this is all the more motivation to get off your butt and put your all into eating what you know and eating it well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Siena, Italy. Glad you are enjoying the tomatoes. We believe in home grown tomatoes and true love and are lucky to have both! xo sc

Xander said...

Wow, I've been in Thailand too long- I half expected to see a hotdog on that plate. -X

a said...

X
Thank you. That gave me a good laugh! I totally understand.

paoix said...

haha i have had this conversation in the past myself. what does it mean to re-create food outside of the cuisine's country of origin? you can only use ingredients that's available and there's always that local taste influence. i.e. when i went to dominican republic and had italian food served to us at the hotel. it was shocking haha. great post!

a said...

good lord, I can only imagine!