Saturday, October 11, 2008

Palm Sugar and Oatmeal


The Asian Culinary Forum event Asian Food Beyond Borders opened last night in San Francisco and I was in attendance. A separate blog post may or may not be written about that. The highlight for me, however brief, was meeting the folks behind eatingasia. Love the blog, love the writing, love the photos. Their posts go beyond the normal superficial observations of many a tourist or journalist, and the photos while of course stunning, manage to capture the humanity of the subjects and go beyond simply showcasing the exotic. I always learn something reading eatingasia, and that is unique. Too bad I was totally unable to articulate this idea on the spot. Anyway, after hearing me complain at some point in the past about the difficulty in acquiring decent palm sugar in the States, Robyn Eckhardt was kind enough to give me a bag of Malaysian Palm Sugar.

This might not seem like much to some of you, but it is a big deal to me. It is precisely the subtle (and sometimes great) differences in ingredients that make food in different parts of the world unique, and this type of sugar takes me to another place. It tastes nothing like any sugar you can find in the shops round these parts. At Robyn's suggestion, I made use of the sugar this very morning on my oatmeal.



Oatmeal is rather idiot proof, so find your own recipe. There is nothing better than good ingredients to make your favorite comfort foods all more satisfying. Thank you Robyn!

What's next? Maybe flan. Stay tuned.

No comments: