Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tortilla Press

Mentioned before on these pages is the ease of which I can and you could also make delicious homemade tortillas. If you are very dexterous or a middle aged Mexican women, you could simply hand form them. If you're at all like me, you'd want a tool for the job. My beloved press deserves its own post so here it is:



I can't say enough good things about this press. It's a couple(?) decades old at least. My mother gave it to me after years of neglect in a cupboard. My aunt owns the exact same press, likely bought at the same time as this one.


Mind the coffee maker. Really, it's only as valuable as it is useful. To make tortillas you need masa, and that it one thing I'm not making from scratch. Making hominy, drying it, and then grinding it is out of the question. Luckily, in just about grocery store in the state of California you can buy a large bag for a few bucks, meaning you have fresh tortillas for next to nothing. A press can be ordered online or found in the local tiendas. What are you waiting for? A word of caution: much like roasting your own coffee, growing your own tomatoes, or cooking your own methamphetamines, once you get a taste, there is no going back.

3 comments:

Hock said...

Nuttin like cooking up some homebake to keep you occupied over the weekend.

I never would have seen the link between a tortilla and meth though.

Seriously cute oven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebake_(slang)

a said...

Tortillas are the gateway of course.
The stove is a real a joy. It's the best erm, unit I have had the pleasure of using. The built in griddle certainly makes things easy.

天然パーマンTENNEN PARMAN [from Japan] said...

Hi, I am Tennen-Perman,E-mail from Japan.
I visited your site sometimes so far.
You have a cool site.
I linked your site in my blog.
I administer a blog talking about cooking.
Please link to my site in your ones if you like it.

http://impact-cook.blogspot.com/

thank you!