Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tacos Mi Rancho



On the weekends I find any reason at all to end up in East Oakland long enough for a plate of tacos. After an almost six mile walk I realized that I was in fact on to something. Getting in your car, or walking a couple of blocks to the neighborhood taqueria is a sure way to find yourself on the losing end of the American health care system. If you are uninsured you will soon find yourself indebted to some hospital for the rest of your miserable health plagued life. If you are in fact insured it would be wise not to document your exploits for some weaselly insurance agent to see and decide that insuring you is an immense liability without some hefty premiums. Just a thought.

Where were we? Oh yes, tacos, waist lines, and the search for the meaning of life. Today I stumbled across Tacos Mi Rancho and sampled their fine tacos.

On a small spit of Land on 1st Avenue and east 14th sits Tacos Mi Rancho. I can't think of a better place for a taco truck.

It feels like I'm on auto pilot writing about these trucks. So here's the verdict on Oakland's taco truck scene. It's pretty damn good really. You can get pretty consistently good tacos for a good price all over East Oakland.

Most places serve just about the same thing, so deciding on a truck is not a make or break situation, although my fave is still Tacos Alonzo. None of this is particularly scientific though. I try slightly different stuff at each truck as I refuse to eat asada or pastor twenty times in a row. So today I went for a plate of tacos de buche. What is buche you ask? Pork stomach of course. The helpful if not entirely accurate menu for the Spanish impaired is certainly cute.



I took my first bite and was reminded that buche is not in fact my favorite meat. I don't dislike it, but the texture is not my cup of tea. It's soft, and doesn't give much when chewed. I like a bit more resistance. Regardless of this, the flavors were still very nice. The tortillas tasted fresh, the richness and spice was all there, and they were very generous with the pickled carrots and radishes. Friendly service was certainly appreciated as well.




Tacos Mi Rancho
1st Ave & E 14th St
Oakland, CA 94606

2 comments:

Xander said...

Jarritos! -X

a said...

Hell yes! Actually, I don't usually drink soda, but these are great. I read recently that jarritos market share has shrunk and shrunk over the years. I couldn't imagine Mexican food without it on offer.