Thursday, December 4, 2008

Acme Supreme Juicerator



As I spend more and more time locked away from the world in my cute kitchen, safe from the crazies outside with their baseball bats, handguns, and mental instability, it is certainly comforting to be surrounded by friendly kitchen equipment.

Meet the Acme Supreme Juicerator.

You read that right. It's actually called the Juicerator. Have a closer look.


The Juicerator is like a dream. It weighs about a ton. You could likely drop it from your roof maiming or killing passersby or destroying motorized vehicles, and your juicer would have nary a scratch. It's made almost entirely of metal, meaning very few parts to wear out or simply break. This thing is nearly indestructible. It also makes killer juice.

Older household goods were made to last while the newer stuff is made to die. How else can a company hope to get repeat customers? This here juicerator is several decades old. I assumed that they didn't make em like this any more. But digging a little I learned that the juicerator is still in production, I believe in its all metal form. It will cost you a few hundred bucks though. It makes short work of fruits, vegetables, and the fingers of children young and old. Take these carrots for example.



79 cents a bag makes for a deliciously cheap cup of juice. Place a carrot down into the top slot


onto the spinning toothed blade.


A spinning metal mesh basket separates the juice from the pulp with centrifugal force.


It takes about a minute to devour a bag of carrots.

There really is nothing like fresh juice. Once you try it, it gets very hard to pay an arm and a leg for the inferior pasteurized stuff, or the very expensive fresh glass in one of your local juice shops.

My mother taught me about how the vitamin A in carrots is good for one's eye sight. She's right of course, but maybe more importantly, carrot juice is the best thing you've ever tasted. I recommend you get your hands on a juicer, buy a few carrots, and make some carrot juice. It will help you see who or what's coming your way on the increasingly dangerous city streets. Watch out!

10 comments:

Mrs Erg├╝l said...

my favourite juice gotta be the blend of celery and carrot. While many others find it a tad too raw for their palate, that is exactly what I love about it. The rawness in it makes me feel that it is Oh So Fresh! :)

Now, a juice is on my to-buy list!

h said...

Beautiful piece of kitchen equipment. My eye was drawn to the aged wooden stopper/plunger.

a said...

Mrs Ergul

My fave is probably carrot apple. I'll give the celery blend a try.

h
The wood plunger is actually an after-factory homemade replacement made many years ago! It is an attractive implement.

Robyn said...

Fantastic - where did you get it? From the parents? Ebay?

My favorite juice would have to be beet-passion fruit (a holdover from Bangkok). You probably can't get reasonably priced passion fruit. Perhaps beet-pineapple? Beet-blood orange? The combo of earthy beets and tart fruit is damn tasty.

a said...

Robyn
Yes it was a gift from ellen's parents. Or maybe we stole it from them, I don't remmeber the details!

I remember the beet passion, great stuff. About passion fruit: as a decorative plant many people grow a passion fruit relative in this area, but no actual passion fruit. What gives? The climate seems about right here or at least nearby.

Whenever i blog about something, you can uaually assume there is three times as much stuff. This case is no exception. The other week we had a party and we did cocktails with fresh juice. The fresh cranberry with vodka was a hit. The other morning I did some pomegranate combos as well. You have reminded me of my love of beet juice combos. Thank you.

Robyn said...

We looked into growing passion fruit when we were homeowners over in Kensington. You need both a male and a female vine for it to fruit. Maybe that's why you don't see fruits around town. Also - I could be wrong - I'm not sure that passion flower, the very popular vine all over the Bay Area - is anything to do with passion fruit vines.
Let that be a challenge to you - cultivate passion fruit in Berkeley!

a said...

Robyn

I do in fact have confirmation on passion fruit growing around here, but it is not widely done. The flowers are a big question mark for me. I know of a few houses with passion fruit vines and seedless fruit! I know another house that has fruit with seeds, but they taste mildly sweet and nothing like what I'd expect.

I'm gonna look into this further as I really love passion fruit. I know a guy I can talk to about this. I'll report back.

Anna said...

Sorry to be posting a question related to this post a year after everyone else, but I just found a juicerator and am fixing it up. I made a wooden plunger this morning, inspired by yours. That was the only thing that appeared to be missing. Now however, I'm not sure - it makes a crazy amount of noise. I'm thinking there might be another piece missing? It makes great juice, but the noise is intense. And it shakes all over! Does yours make so much noise and shake about?

a said...

no worries anna. About the noise, I'm not sure. It certainly isn't a quiet machine, but overly noisy? I dunno. If it's making juice it sure sounds okay. Once I send a bag of carrots or a bowl of apples through, it can get a little off kilter what with uneven weight distribution, but you should be able to get a couple glasses before it becomes too wobbly.

prolix said...

I loved ur blogs and wat information that u issued is really very usefull for us .. thanks

Juicers