Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Homegrown Mushrooms



A much appreciated holiday gift, and current living room decoration was a couple of mushroom logs from the Rain Forest Mushroom Company out of Eddyville, Oregon. Great we thought, we can follow the directions and enjoy some nice mushrooms. Little did we know how prolific our oyster mushroom log would be.

Within days of soaking our hunk of sawdust, oyster mushrooms had exploded from our log and we very quickly had an impressive amount of some of the finest mushrooms we have ever eaten.

Here's the log after a harvest.


We made savory mushroom crepes, mushroom quesadillas, sauteed mushrooms on salad, and one very large and excellent spinach and mushroom omelette.



While some mushrooms are not prohibitively expensive in the stores, the price, quality and quantity of these Oyster mushrooms makes it hard to want my mushrooms from anywhere else. So next time you find yourself on the small and scenic Highway 20 in the Beautiful state of Oregon, give Rain Forest Mushrooms a try.

Rain Forest Mushroom Co.
P.O. Box 83
20666 HWY 20
Eddyville, OR 97343
541-875-2026
http://www.rainforestmushrooms.com/

4 comments:

heidih said...

Stunning mushrooms. I am tempted to purchase a starter log.

a said...

heidih
If it wasn't obvious in the post, my advice to you is to get the oyster kit. While the shiitakes were certainly nice, the oysters really blew us away.

If you do get a log I would love to hear how they turn out.

Anonymous said...

I just ran across your post and wanted to thank you for your enthusiasm.A few years ago I wanted to grow my own mushrooms but never bought a kit. I will check out the link you provided as I am going to purchase a kit this time. I will get the Oyster kit, thanks again.

Mack Shepperson said...

Wow, your homegrown oyster mushrooms look beautiful! I bet they were also absolutely delicious. You’re right; there really is something special about homegrown mushrooms. Mushrooms bought from stores are already processed, so their natural taste is diminished by the time you have cooked them. In addition, the processing might have diluted a lot of the vitamins, protein and minerals that they contain.