Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Hour Doldrums

Who doesn't love happy hour? Nobody you might say. After a hard day of work, or maybe a day of no work at all, what better pastime is there than pickling your underutilized brain and body with a strong concoction, and maybe even a snack? Well, the miserable business owners in the East Bay (read: huge suburb of San Francisco) seem to be against happy hours. And no, one dollar off a five dollar pint of beer doesn't count.

The small group of people I know here are mostly students, artists, underemployed, or totally unemployed. I'll let you guess where I fit into all of this. If it isn't painfully obvious, we are not a rich bunch, but we do like to eat and drink after a day of something. So, being the generous guy I am, I invited some folks over to my house for my own happy hour. And happy we were.

I already had a basket of lemons, and old half empty bottle of vodka, and a yard overgrowing with mint. I went out back and the slaughter began.
IMG_1397.jpg
I found an old honey jar and filled it with the mint.
IMG_1422.jpg
Next I added almost a cup of sugar,
IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg
two cups of vodka, and the juice of several lemons.
IMG_1435.jpg
I placed the concoction in the fridge to chill and get minty.

Two hours later my friends arrived and boy were they thirsty.
IMG_1455.jpg
Luckily my abuelita arrived just in time with the nicest sopes you ever did see.
IMG_1458.jpg

Ahem. Actually, I made the sopes.
IMG_1459.jpg
For a few hours we forgot our cares, prior engagements and medications.

4 comments:

Robert H said...

Happy hour is the bee's knees.

Tamagosan said...

A citrus reamer just moved to the top of my gadget wish list...

a said...

Rob
If Happy hour ain't the bees knees, then nothing is.

Tamagosan
This is one of the few times I've ever used the reamer, and it came in quite handy. I recommend it especially if you don't have a citrus juicer.

jane said...

i'm confused?

how could you forget about your medication, whilst you were drinking it...

heh.

*snort*

xo