Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pupusas on Foothill Boulevard

Has it really been three months since I last regaled you with a tale from tacoland? Well, excuses are a dime a dozen so let's dispense with the nonsense. The last few months has seen me dressed in a lab coat trying to perfect the art of making fine coffee. When the clouds lifted and my mood settled, I realized that there was in fact a larger world outside my door, even if it still scares the bejeesus out of most sane people. Nevertheless, it is time to revisit the eastern side of town where there are honest folk making an honest buck serving some fresh and cheap fare.

The last time I found myself delirious and hungry in East Oakland I was meandering along on Foothill Boulevard looking for something but nothing in particular. Low and behold there was a Pupuseria. Pupuserias are nothing out of the ordinary, but of special interest was the pupuseria in the parking lot of the pupuseria. What a novel idea. Seen above is the pupuseria, not the pupuseria in the pupuseria's parking lot. I pulled up to the bar, ordered a couple of pupusas with beans and chicharon.

What you see is what you get and what you get is what you want. Pupusas, curtido or cole slaw, and picante. Made to order, fresh on your plate, and incapable of breaking the bank regardless of your appetite.

My advice to you is this: stay home and cook your loved ones a meal, stop driving, ride your bicycle, and throw all of your trash on the ground. Seeing as eating out is forgivable in the modern age, if you slip up and you must eat out, visit your local pupuseria. You'll be glad you did.

Pupuseria Lupita and Tamales Mi Lupita (in the parking lot)
34th Ave. and Foothill Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94620

1 comment:

Boots in the Oven said...

Those look awesome. I have yet to find a place in Austin with good pupusas, much less a pupuseria in a pupuseria parking lot.