Thursday, September 10, 2009

Taco Redemption

IMG_2071.jpg
After the previous post I feel the need to remind you the reader and myself of what is possible. Perhaps I was a little too soft on Baja Fresh. Make no mistake: It was like witnessing Pat Boone's rendition of "Tootie Frootie." If you are huffing gas, or simply unaware that this song was being butchered, you just might have thought to yourself, "Wow! This cat really has it!"

A quick trip down memory lane will remind you of my obsession with tacos. I've written a couple gushing posts about Tacos Sinaloa here and here, and was present for a less than stellar visit to their seafood truck on the premises here. Initially I was dismissive of the Tacos Sinaloa seafood truck. I had only visited once and was underwhelmed by a rather old tasting tortilla and limp tasting fish in their fish taco. Well, that was then.

My last visit found me feeling forgiving and looking for something different. I took a risk and ordered a ceviche tostada. Believe me, the last thing you want to ingest is dodgy ceviche. Ceviche is raw fish "cooked" in lime juice. I've purchased excellent ceviche on the pacific coast of Mexico but never in Oakland. While the Oakland version couldn't match the Mexican one, it was a great surprise out of the back of a truck.
IMG_2066.jpg
Next I got a couple of the fish tacos. They were excellent. The fish freshly fried, the tortillas fresh this time and getting that great flavor and spice that only tacos cooked on a hot and busy comal can provide.
IMG_2070.jpg
Meals like this should convince any sane citizen to stay away from the chains and look for your food from people who know what they are doing. For maybe the last time (maybe) get your ass to tacos Sinaloa. You'll be glad you did.

Tacos Sinaloa (For Seafood, the truck in the back)
2138 International Blvd
Oakland, CA 94606
(510) 535-1206

1 comment:

liz said...

Love tacos! could live off them if i could. love your blog, please check out ours we have added you to our links if you like us please add ours thanks