Sunday, November 1, 2009

Break Time

Less than 24 hours after participating in Critical Mass in San Francisco, where thousands of bicycles took to streets to celebrate this simple, healthy alternative mode of transportation, I met a car door head on in north Oakland. I flew through the air and came in for a landing directly upon my shoulder. Less than a day after showing my support for greater bicycle awareness and safety, I was injured on a major thoroughfare where no bike lane is present. I didn't break any laws, but I did fracture my clavicle.

I don't want to spend a long time talking about this, but while I was sobbing on the sidewalk over my bicycle, broken camera, and unresponsive body, I also had to make sure not to be taken into an ambulance, the price of which was quoted to be at least two grand. I was worried about how I was going to pay for this, not for my own well being.

But I'm okay. I need a little time off work as I can hardly use my left arm, which unfortunately for me, is my dominant one. But it could have been worse. Had a car been behind me after my short, graceless flight, I might have been run over and possibly killed. I don't believe in supernatural deities, karma, or fate, but I walked away from an accident that might have killed me under different circumstances. I certainly do believe in luck

Unfortunately, my camera appears to be toast, so blogging might be slow for the forseeable future. Hope to have some good news for you soon.

10 comments:

nicklally said...

damn dude. we're going to have to hide your bike next halloween.

i could loan you a pocket camera if you don't have one...

mark said...

I hope your bones will heal quickly and that am glad you are otherwise alright. Let me know if I can drop off a casserole or something to mitigate the otherwise crappy situation.

Sherry said...

So sorry to hear this, Aaron. Did you go to the doctor? How long is the recovery going to take? ..If this had happened somewhere other than the USA, you'd have had excellent medical care and would be worrying about feeling better, not the cost of health care. Ugh.

Robert H said...

Sorry Aaron. Let me know if you need a hand with anything from way out here. You can call and dictate blog posts over the phone if you want. I can take photo reenactments of the food that you might have seen around.

Get better soon.

a said...

nick
ugh. I fell twice last year didn't I? this after years of remaining upright. once during critical mass on one of those lovely train tracks on market. the next time in west oakland on another set of tracks. It was wet, I'd had afew drinks. This time It was a car door and a car door only. yes camera. mine is trash.

Mark
just stop by, I'm on the couch!

Sherry
Well my care was good, and luckily Zip car will b furnishing me with a whole new set of possessions. Hopefully I can use my arm soon.

Rob
ok. I wrestled an alligator, skinned it, fried it up in delicate chunks, then made a handbag. Send me your best shots!

Robert H said...

My Google skills surpass my poor photo taking skills

a said...

good gawd!

Tamagosan said...

Lamecore. My worst fear when I'm out there on the road on two wheels... Down with violence against southpaw foodie cyclists!

Hanie Mohd said...

That's scary! I'm so glad you're still alive, and that you're recovering!

a said...

thanks guys

unfortunately, this is far from over. Stay tuned...