Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taco Happy hour at Taqueria Pancho Villa

Just about every time I walk through the mission I start feeling kinda uptight about not branching out and trying more of the ubiquitous taquerias. I might be missing something. There might be something special waiting on each and every corner. But I doubt it. While a good burrito is always around the corner, most places serve variations of the same thing. Constant reader polls and bloggers tout their favorites and the same few always come out on top, but they all have their strengths. The food is good and cheap and one's reason for liking one taqueria over another can be rather arbitrary.

I first visited Taqueria Pancho Villa a few years ago and have been coming back ever since. While they are solid for a burrito, I don't think they are the best. However, their salsa bar is great, the seating is plentiful, and you can't really beat the location. Also, they've got taco happy hour. Weekdays from three to five, tacos are a buck, and beer is two. With an order, you also get a serving of chips and a visit to the award winning salsa bar.
IMG_5977.jpg
While I find these tacos a tad unorthodox with the addition of beans, it makes them larger and an even better value than your standard taco truck fare. While they aren't cooked up on a comal as all great tacos should be, you can dress them up with one of the many salsas and condiments on offer.
IMG_5980.jpg
A Corona or other excellent Mexican beer to wash all this down and you're eating well. The above carne asada tacos were my first dinner of the night. They also makes a great second lunch.

Taqueria Pancho Villa
3071 16th St
San Francisco, CA 94103

1 comment:

Hanie said...

If I ever make it to the United States again, tacos will be the first thing I eat :D