Monday, November 8, 2010

Calorie Deficit, Rosamunde Sausage

As of late, I'm constantly running at a troubling calorie deficit. My diet's recently changed owing to my commute. Most days I'm putting at least sixteen miles on my bike. I'm not saying that this is a lot of miles or takes a ton of effort, but recently, Ive started finding myself hungrier than before. I'm often eating two lunches, an extra dinner, or at the very least, a surprising number of snacks.

Fortunately(?) for me I live about a block from Rosamunde gourmet sausage shop.  Long time readers will likely know, I'm a huge fan of what's in the 'hood, so I always make it a point to frequent those businesses before schlepping across town. Often this journey defeats the whole point of being able to eat when you are actually hungry. I've mentioned this conveniently located shop before and how it relates to beer. But today it's all about getting the body caught up on necessary sustenance. I was out the door and in the shop in under two minutes.

I like the business model at Rosamunde. I want a sausage, and they sell it to me with gourmet toppings. They don't serve burgers, sandwiches, salads, or other things found on most bloated menus. They do one thing and they do it well. The sausages are made to order, so you just might have to wait Porky.

I ordered the the special: The Fresh Sicilian. Made out of pork, green bell peppers, provolone and Romano cheese.

IMG_6825.JPG 
I get tired of being asked what want all the time. I love personal choice, really I do. However, does each sausage have an ideal topping combination? Left to my own devices I would always order sauerkraut and grilled onions. This time I asked the sausage hawker to dress it up as she saw fit. She thought about it for a moment then added: Grilled onions, sweet peppers, brown mustard and just a bit of ketchup. I walked my sausage home. It lost something in appearance being wrapped up for the block long walk but I still find its appearance rather enticing.

Two hours later I ate another dinner, then had dessert.

Rosamunde Sausage Grill
545 Haight Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 437-6851
www.rosamundesausagegrill.com

No comments: