Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thai Breakfast with Kai Jiaw and Thai Tea

Today was all about breakfast. I love Thai breakfast, and this very simple one never fails to satisfy. I used to enjoy this kai jiaw or omelette in markets across Thailand when I was in need of a quick shot of protein. I enjoyed it on one of my bike trips, and also when I just wanted something simple. All it took was a woman with a single burner and a wok and this breakfast was ready in a matter of minutes. Thai tea or coffee was never far away.
IMG_9887.JPG
This omeltte is insultingly easy. It's only: two eggs, a pinch of salt, and a few table spoons of oil. you must fry it until the eggs get all bubbly. Give it a flip, cook through and serve over rice. Top with green onions and shallots.
IMG_9890.JPG
I also topped mine with fish sauce and a delicious chili sauce called sriracha. No, not this sriracha, the Thai version. I made it on the stove top. David Thompson's recipe uses only garlic, chilies, water, salt and sugar. I don't feel comfortable giving out his recipes online, but a great write up and online recipe can be found here. It will make your fried foods all the better.

No comments: