Thursday, January 6, 2011

Yam Goong and Yam Het (Shrimp Salad and Mushroom Salad)

Today I decided to make some "salad". There were shrimp in the fridge that needed using and I couldn't face tom yum goong today, so I made a rather simple Thai salad. I followed David Thompson's recipe for my favorite salad, yam pla meuk (squid) but substituted shrimp. Trust me, it works.

The ingredients are all of what you see here. The dressing included the chilies, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar.
IMG_9165.JPG
I love the combination of simple and fresh ingredients. Anything else is just showing off.
IMG_9167.JPG
I was a little heavy handed with the herbs on this one, but I like it that way. It was sour, salty and spicy all at once.

I couldn't stop there. Rooting around in the refrigerator I came across some mushrooms in desperate need of use.
IMG_9108.JPG
My housemates brought home basket fulls of wild mushrooms last week and a few were sitting around unused, so I helped myself to the yellow foot chantrelles and black trumpets.
IMG_9121.JPG
After cleaning them up they made a perfect sized pile for a yam het or mushroom salad.
IMG_9183.JPG
After a quick saute I tossed them with lime juice, fish sauce, and a pinch of sugar. I added shallots, onions, and a handful of herbs. After topping it with ground toasted rice it was ready to suffer the indignity of being over photographed before three of us picked it to death.
IMG_9213.JPG
I'd like to leave the house in the coming days, so I better figure out how to make these dishes up a little quicker, or my social life is going to completely fall apart.

No comments: